In the words of author Kevin Kelly, success in the 21st century, “flows directly from innovation, not optimization. It is not gained by perfecting the known, but by imperfectly seizing the unknown.” - John Maxwell, Leadership Expert
"If a man is called a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well." - Martin Luther King, Jr., Prominent Leader
"There is no such thing as overnight success or easy money. If you fail, do not be discouraged; try again. When you do well, do not change your ways. Success is not just good luck: it is a combination of hard work, good credit standing, opportunity, readiness and timing. Success will not last if you do not take care of it." - Henry Sy, Retail Magnate
1. Shop around. Pricing for personalization can differ greatly from merchant to merchant. For example, some charge per letter, others charge per line, while even others will do some personalization for free.
2. Check for turnaround times. Personalization can add several days to the delivery of the gift. Make sure your gift will still be received when needed.
3. Ordering online can help ensure you will be getting what you want. Some websites now have the ability to preview what your personalization will look like before you order.
4. Triple-check your check spelling, dates and desired wording -- the retailer will personalize it exactly the way you specified. Many retailers will not correct misspelled words and most will not accept returns on personalized items.
5. When personalizing with a photo make sure to send high quality photos or files so that you have get a high quality finished product.
Review the return policy before you buy. Many times personalized items cannot be returned unless the gift has an issue that is not your fault -- they mis-transcribed what you gave them or the item was damaged during shipping.
6. If ordering online, make sure to order from a trusted website.